SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide

“Obsidian“ by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout

“Obsidian” is the first book of the Lux series which consists of five parts. The last book “Opposition” has just come out. For me, “Obsidian” falls in the same category as “The Vampire Academy” and “The Mortal Instruments” series, which means that “Obsidian” is entertaining and enjoyable but nothing special or outstanding. I liked the book, it kept me interested, and I have already picked up the second book “Onyx”, but it would not be the first book I would recommend a friend.

As always, let us have a look at the cover. The original cover was horrible. When will publisher learn that no one wants to read a book in public that looks like a cheap romance novel? Starry-eyed people or couples in weird embraces are not appealing. There was a cover change recently. Unfortunately the new cover looks as bad as the old one. But now the covers SPARKLES! No, just no! I probably would have never picked up “Obsidian” if it had not been for the beautiful German cover. When I went to my bookstore a few weeks back I was drawn to this beautiful book. It took me a few moments to realize that this book was just the German edition of “Obsidian”. Suddenly, I was curious again and when I found it as a free ebook on Amazon I decided to give it a try. After reading this book I can say the German cover catches the atmosphere of “Obsidian” perfectly. American publishers take notes!

Book’s synopsis:

"Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is."

At the beginning the synopsis reminded me of “Twilight” but then I was hoping for a good hate relationship that develops slowly into love. Well, the book has nothing to do with “Twilight” but unfortunately I realized quite early that the “hate relationship” was not to be found in the book either. The two main characters might act like they cannot stand each other but the attraction is there from the very beginning. So it is the typical instant love we find so often in Young Adult books just that the male character acts like a jerk because he cannot be with a human even though he wants to and the female character is mad because he is such a jerk even though she finds him so attractive. To be honest I was kind of bumped that it was not the kind of relationship I had hoped for. How interesting would it be, if the main character really would hate each other in the beginning and would only slowly realize that the other person does have some qualities they liked? The focus is on SLOWLY! But well, since it became obvious so early on I decided to just go with it.

I like Katy and Daemon, the two main characters. I understand why Daemon acts sometimes the way he does. He kind of is a jerk but he is a HOT jerk. I love that Katy is neither the hero who can do everything nor the damsel in distress. She is absolutely normal. And she is a book blogger! Nothing is cooler than that!

The story runs smoothly. It is not too fast paced or slow paced. Jennifer L. Armentrout has a good enough writing style. It does not stand out to me but it does not bother me either. I wish the book had this something special, this something that stands out. Because for me it kind of gets lost between all the other Young Adult fantasy books. Maybe that will change within the next books of the series.

Like I already said this is not the first book I would recommend to someone but there are so many people who love “The Vampire Academy” and “The Mortal Instruments” and I know people who absolutely love, love, LOVE “Obsidian”. So yeah, if you are interested, pick it up. It might become your favorite series. For now the Lux series is just entertaining enough for me that I picked up the second book. I liked it but I did not love it.