SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide

„Top 5 Worlds“- Top 5 Wednesday

The Magicians' Guild - Trudi Canavan Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Top 5 Wednesday was created by gingerreadslainey. Check out her youtube channel! Basically, every Wednesday there is a chosen topic to which you list your top 5. If you want to join, have a look at the goodreads page!

Today’s Top 5 Wednesday topic is “Top 5 Worlds”. As a fantasy reader it was really hard to choose my top 5. There are so many fantastic and creative worlds that I almost could not make up my mind. Even though they did not make it on my list I do want to mention:

“The Grisha Trilogy” by Leigh Bardugo,

“Magic Moon” by Wolfang and Heike Hohlbein,

and “Dark Canopy” by Jennifer Benkau.

5. The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan

Trudi Canavan’s world building is not perfect but good. As a reader we only get to learn about the places where the action of the main characters takes place. That way we never see what else is out there. But the limited world building we get to see of Imardin and Kyralia is amazing. There is logic behind the history, the traditions, and the way society works. In “The Black Magician Trilogy” we have a travelling main character and therefore the world expands further and further and every country has its own traditions and values.

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I love, love, love the world of Eretz. This world is so fascinating, so different. The idea is amazing. There are some holes is the world building which Laini Taylor either did not explain well enough or had not figured out herself. But all in all this is one of the best fantasy worlds I have read.

3. Harry Potter by Joanne K. Rowling

Oh, Harry Potter, my favorite book series. The world of Harry Potter is magical and wonderful and simply the place I want to live. Over the course of all 7 books there is not a simple question that stayed unanswered (at least I cannot remember any holes in the world building). From politics to traditions, from family history to laws everything is thoughtfully created.

2. The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss

I am absolutely in love with the world in “The Kingkiller Chronicle”. Not so much with the place, I mean, it is kind of like any other fantasy world. But there are songs and stories, myths and true history. The world behind the actual world is what makes this book so amazing. Many people compare Rothfuss world building to the world building of J.R.R. Tolkin. It is one of the few cases that I can agree on.

1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkin

“Lord of the Rings” is not my favorite book. I liked it, it was entertaining, but no, for me it is not the best fantasy book of all time (I know, how dare I!). I do have to give my kudos to Tolkin for the world building, though. I mean, he is the master of world building. I have yet to read a book that exceeds Tolkin’s work. He thought of everything, was imaginative, resourceful, and very detailed. Middle-Earth certainly deserves the top of my Top 5 Worlds.

What is your favorite world? Any recommendations for me?