SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan - Audiobook Review

Immortal Beloved - Cate Tiernan

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan had been sitting on my reading wish list for many years now. I stumbled on it a few years back while looking for books on Amazon. The premise sounded interesting so I put it on my reading list. However, it was never on my highest priority so when I saw the audiobook in my library I was really excited. This was the perfect moment to finally read/listen to this book.

Unfortunately, the book did not live up to the expectation. I was very disappointed, especially in the beginning. As the title hints the book is about immortals. Nastasja, the main character, is over 450 years old – but behaves like a 12-year-old. She is not just acting bratty and spoiled but also talks like she is a hormone driven teenager. What was Tiernan thinking while writing her main character like that?! How does she reason such behavior? I mean, I get the spoilt, bored immortal that has lost herself in her boredom but why would she talk like a little kid? Why? She is over 450 years old!

It was driving me absolutely crazy. I could hardly concentrate on the story because of all the missing logic in Nastasja behavior. It only got better closer to the end, when she finally started acting like a grown up.

I might have liked the book better if I had read it instead of listened to the audiobook. Katja Danowski, the German narrator, managed to make Nastasja sound even younger. She had my blood boiling so much. I almost DNF’ed the book because of her. She can be a fantastic narrator. She even was doing a good job for most of the audiobook but for some reason she spoke Nastasja so childishly that I really wished they had chosen someone else to read this book.

The plot itself wasn’t too bad although it did not catch my attention as much as I hoped. Immortal Beloved was the first book of a trilogy. Even though it got better at the end I will not continue the series. The idea could have been executed so much better. The first disappointment of the year.