SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide

House Rules by Jodi Picoult - Audiobook Review

House Rules - Jodi Picoult

Another fantastic book by Jodi Picoult! Picoult is one of my favorite authors ever since I read “My Sister’s Keeper”.  What I love about her, is, that she is not afraid to write about difficult topics. “House Rules” centers on Jacob – a young man with Asperger’s. When his social skills teacher is found dead, all evidence points to him.

This book had me laughing, crying, and raging. Some of Jacob’s comments were so funny. At the same time I got so frustrated with some of the side characters who had no empathy at all what living with Asperger’s might mean. I know, that as long as you do not have contact with someone with Asperger’s you might not know much about it, but TRYING to understand what it means seems just logical to me. But they did not even try. And they could not even say that they were just dumb people. Ugh. That got me so frustrated and I was just listening to a book. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for parents and friends in real life.

That is also the second thing I love about Jodi Picoult’s writing. She tends to write from different perspectives and that way we see the topic from different points of view: the loving mother, the brother, who always comes second, the lawyer. Sometimes it is easy to forget about the other family members when one needs more attention than the others.

There were two things I could have done without: for one, the romance between the lawyer and the mother. It was unnecessary and brought nothing to the story. The second thing was the resolution. Picoult did kind of drag it out a little bit. It could have been resolved a lot sooner and that got on my nerves.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I thought Picoult presented the Asperger’s syndrome a lot better than Graeme Simsion in “The Rosie Project”. I absolutely recommend this book.