SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide
SPOILER ALERT!

The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - Review

The Retribution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

After the disappointing second book in the Mara Dyer trilogy I had been hesitant to start “The Retribution of Mara Dyer”. Luckily, this book led the series back to its greatness that started with the first book. Had it not been for the last 50 pages it would have been a 5-star-read.

It is impossible to talk about this book without giving away spoilers so if you have not read this series yet, do not continue. It will be a spoiler review.

“The Retribution of Mara Dyer” is a lot darker than the first two books. It gets nasty, cruel, disturbing, and mind-blowing. I see why some people might not like this book as much as the first book. The series takes a turn to cruelty. I, on the other hand, liked this book a lot. While the first book got its excitement from mind-fucking the reader what is real and what is not, the third book holds its strength in solving the puzzle and answering open questions.

Mara changes so much in this book. While I could have hit her so many times in the second book, I found her really interesting this time. Some people say, they could not understand the change in character but I have to disagree. From what I understood her change was natural as part of her manifestation. Add to that that people with power tend to change, I found her darker side very realistic. She has been through a lot and maybe because of that she has become a little crazy.

One of the major complains by many readers was that Noah was left out for most of the book. I LOVED that fact. It is not that I do not like Noah. Quite the opposite actually. But Noah together with Mara drives me insane. Instead of a gripping thriller we get a cheesy romance and I do not want that in this book. So I was quite happy with Noah not being in the picture.

This book is so fast-paced. I could not put it down. Had it not been for work and other obligations I would have finished this book in one sitting. There was so much going on. Everything that was missing in book two was here.

And then came the end. I have to admit, I am a little bit disappointed with the end. While many questions were answered, some more serious problems were just left in the open. I am mad that in the end it all came down to a cheesy romance even though I feared that would happen from the starting point. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if one of the main characters had died.

All in all, I am very happy this book was so much better than the second book. With a different ending it would have been amazing. In my opinion the Mara Dyer series starts out great and ends very well. The second book is the reason why the awesomeness, this series could be, comes down to an ‘okay’ series. I wish one could leave out the second book but too much information would be missed. Hodkin wrote an interesting series and I am curious what she will come up with next.