SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson - Audiobook Review

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

This book. I do not know. It is not that I did not like the book, it is that it did not impress me much. This book has been on the German bestselling list for weeks. I knew it was not a book I would necessarily spent my precious free time on but when I got the audio book for free I was curious what the excitement was about.

Unfortunately, for me, the book did not deliver what it promised. The synopsis sounded quite interesting: A man disappears on his 100. birthday. In reality the book is a combination of a history book and a bad crime book. There are two storylines: the one in the present with murders and the police and a drug gang and then the one in the past which covers the history from 1905 to 2005. And of course it just happens that the main protagonist Alan Carlson is always were the big historical events takes place. So he meets Franco, befriends Truman, and is the one who solves the atomic bomb problem not Einstein (of course).

While I liked Alan as a character (there is not much you cannot like about him), I absolutely hated all the coincidences. It was over the top. I could not take the story serious but at the same time it was not funny enough to be called a comedy.

What made it even worse was Otto Sander reading it. I disliked it a lot. It put me to sleep and at the same time made me become aggressive because I just wanted to shake him so bad. Ugh. Never again will I listen to an audiobook read by him.

In conclusion, this book was kind of disappointing. I am pretty sure I will not read any of Jonasson books again. It is just not my kind of story he is telling. And honestly I wonder what so many people liked about this book. It was not bad but it was just meh.