SlowReader

SlowReader's Kingdom

"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”

Jane Smiley

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Mel has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
hide

"Top 5 Female Characters" - Top 5 Wednesday

Top 5 Wednesday was created by gingerreadslainey. Check out her youtube channel! Basically, every Wednesday there is a chosen topic to which you list your top 5. If you want to join, have a look at the goodreads page!

And another Top 5 Wednesday. We are talking about favorite female characters today. There are so many female characters out there but I get quite annoyed with a lot of them. They are often portrayed as the damsel in distress or just all blend together because they are all the same. Well, here are my Top 5 Female Characters that stood out to me:

5. Cinder from Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I liked Cinder from the beginning. She is smart and humble. A combination I find very admirable. I haven’t found many faults in her personality. I’m intrigued to see what happens in the coming books because her place in the world will change so much and it will be interesting to see how she adapts to that.

4. Kitty Doe from Pawn by Aimee Carter

I have ambivalent feelings for Kitty. At the beginning of the books I sometimes got annoyed with her for being so naïve. But soon enough I felt so much sympathy for her. She is brave and smart but struggles with every truth she finds out and I can understand that. I can understand her. I think she will grow as a character even more in the coming books.

3. Katniss Everdeen from Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Oh, Katniss. What a strong and fierce character. She really fights for her family and people who mean a lot to her. But, wow, did I not like her at the end of book 1. I always felt that the movie failed to deliver her coldness at times. How she just broke all of Peetas dreams and used his feelings for her own gain. But then I think many people in a situation like hers would have done that. Katniss redeems herself in the later books but she is certainly not perfect. Admirable but not always right.

2. Lia from The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

What I like most about Lia was that she wasn’t perfect but eager to learn. She is a princess and therefore kind of naïve about some things but she is so willing to learn and doesn’t care about other people’s opinions. I enjoy that in a character. She also isn’t the clumsy little girl. No, she is smart and fast-learning. That’s how female characters should be like: not perfect but not completely hopeless either.

1. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter by Joanne K. Rowling

My absolute favorite character! I love Luna. I love her understanding of the world, her kindness, her strong and brave heart, and her lovely personality. She would be my favorite person in the world if she were real.

As you can tell I like my female characters to be smart, strong, and kind. What about you? What are your favorite female characters?